Granny Pods Reinvent Elder CareUncategorized
With the aging of the Baby Boomers, the rate of seniors in need of eldercare is growing at an alarming rate. Currently there are not enough assisted living facilities or nursing homes to accommodate the increasing numbers, and it’s not always an option for an elderly relative to live with family due to space limitations. So what’s to be done? Consider the Granny Pod.
What Is a Granny Pod?
A MedCottage, or Granny Pod, is a small, portable housing unit designed specifically for elder care. The unit can be transported to a family member’s backyard where it can be connected to the homeowner’s utilities. The interior living space is approximately 12 ft. by 24 ft. and includes a small kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom, along with additional space for a live-in caregiver.
Features of a Granny Pod
- Kitchen equipped with a small refrigerator, microwave, and pill dispenser
- Bathroom is handicap accessible, complete with hand railings
- Double French doors to accommodate a wheelchair
- Webcams, intercom, and an alert system so family members can monitor safety
- A soft floor to cushion any falls that may occur
- Computer activated reminders to take medications
- Devices to monitor blood pressure, heart rate, and glucose levels, as well as first aid supplies and a defibrillator
- A lift for those with mobility problems
Why Choose a Granny Pod?
Granny Pods allow the elderly to maintain their independence while keeping them close to family. The MedCottages are equipped to address the safety concerns that come with aging and even allow for a live-in caregiver. For all these reasons, Granny Pods are an attractive alternative to nursing homes or assisted living facilities when it comes time to consider living arrangements for an aging family member.